When it comes to art, the price tag can often be just as eye-catching as the piece itself. From Impressionist masterpieces to contemporary works, the world’s most expensive paintings have sold for hundreds of millions of dollars at auction houses and private sales. Here, we take a look at the top 10 most expensive paintings ever sold, from Vincent van Gogh’s ‘Irises’ to a recent sale of a painting by David Hockney. These masterpieces not only broke records for their staggering prices but also their cultural and historical significance.
|Most Expensive Painting
|The Card Players
|Nafea Faa Ipoipo(When Will You Marry?)
|The Standard Bearer
|Shot Sage Blue Marilyn
|No. 6 (Violet, Green, and Red)
|Pendant portraits of Maerten Soolmans and Oopjen Coppit
Salvator Mundi is the most expensive painting in the world. Salvator Mundi (Latin for “Savior of the World”) is a painting attributed to the Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci. The painting depicts Jesus Christ as the “Salvator Mundi” holding a crystal orb in his left hand and raising his right hand in blessing. It was discovered in 2005 and sold at auction in 2017 for a record-breaking $450 million. The painting’s authenticity as a work by Leonardo da Vinci has been widely debated by art experts, with some claiming it to be a copy or a work by one of his followers.
Interchange is the 2nd most expensive painting in the world. The painting, which measures approximately 68 by 60 inches, was created in 1955 and is considered one of de Kooning’s most iconic works. It is known for its bold use of color and brushstrokes, as well as its abstract and gestural nature. The painting is part of the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
Interchange has been widely praised for its ability to convey emotion and movement through its abstract forms and lines. Critics have noted that the painting captures the energy and dynamism of the urban environment in which it was created and that it reflects the artist’s interest in the human figure and the relationship between the figure and the ground.
De Kooning’s use of color in Interchange has also been widely acclaimed. The painting is dominated by a range of blues, greens, and yellows, which are used to create a sense of depth and movement. The artist’s use of brushstrokes is also notable, with sweeping, gestural lines that give the painting a sense of movement and energy.
Interchange has been widely exhibited and studied, and is considered one of the most important works of art of the 20th century. It continues to be a source of inspiration for many contemporary artists and is considered a masterpiece of abstract expressionism.
The Card Players
The Card Players is the 3rd most expensive painting in the world. The Card Players is a series of paintings by the French Post-Impressionist artist Paul Cézanne. The paintings depict various scenes of men playing cards, typically in rural settings. The series is considered one of Cézanne’s most important works, as it represents a departure from his earlier Impressionist style and a move towards a more structured and geometric approach to composition. The paintings are also notable for their attention to detail and the use of strong colors and bold brushstrokes. The series includes five known paintings, with the largest and most famous being “The Card Players” (1892-1893), which is now in the collection of the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia.
Nafea Faa Ipoipo(When Will You Marry?)
Nafea Faa Ipoipo(When Will You Marry?) is the 4th most expensive painting in the world. Nafea Faa Ipoipo is a painting by Paul Gauguin, created in 1892. The painting depicts two Tahitian women sitting in a lush, tropical landscape. The title, Nafea Faa Ipoipo, translates to “When Will You Marry?” in English, suggesting that the women in the painting may be contemplating marriage. The painting is considered a masterpiece of Post-Impressionism and is currently housed in the Neue Pinakothek museum in Munich, Germany.
Number 17A is the 5th most expensive painting in the world. The painting, created in 1948, is a classic example of Pollock’s signature style of drip painting, where he would drip, pour, and splatter paint onto the canvas in a seemingly chaotic and random manner. The result is a complex and layered composition of swirling lines and shapes that creates a sense of movement and energy.
The painting is made up of a variety of colors, including black, white, red, blue, and yellow, and is executed on a large canvas measuring just over 8 feet in height and 17 feet in width. The size of the painting and the scale of the drips and splatters give it a powerful and imposing presence.
Number 17A is considered to be one of Pollock’s most significant works and is considered to be a masterpiece of abstract expressionism. It has been exhibited in major museums and galleries around the world, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Tate Modern in London.
The sale of Number 17A to Kenneth C. Griffin set a new record for the most expensive painting ever sold, surpassing the previous record set by Picasso’s Les Femmes d’Alger (Version “O”) which sold for about $200 million in May 2015. The painting is currently on loan to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
The Standard Bearer
The Standard Bearer is the 6th most expensive painting in the world. The painting, completed in 1636, depicts the artist in a dark, dramatic setting, holding a large flag bearing the insignia of the Dutch Republic. The painting is considered one of Rembrandt’s most iconic works and is considered a masterpiece of Baroque portraiture. The acquisition of The Standard Bearer by the Rijksmuseum was a major event in the art world, and the painting will now be on permanent display for the public to enjoy.
Shot Sage Blue Marilyn
Shot Sage Blue Marilyn is the 7th most expensive painting in the world. Featuring the iconic image of actress Marilyn Monroe. The series consists of twenty-five paintings, each featuring a different variation of the iconic image, with different colors and backgrounds. The series is considered to be one of Warhol’s most famous and iconic works and is considered to be a commentary on the culture of celebrity and the commodification of fame in the 1960s. The paintings have been widely exhibited and are considered to be some of the most valuable works of art in the world, with some selling for millions of dollars at auction.
No. 6 (Violet, Green, and Red)
No. 6 (Violet, Green, and Red) is the 8th most expensive painting in the world. No. 6 is a painting created by the artist Mark Rothko in 1950. The painting is part of a series of works known as the “multiform” paintings, which are characterized by their large, block-like shapes of color. The painting is composed of three main colors: violet, green, and red. The colors are applied in large, rectangular shapes, with the violet shape occupying the top half of the painting, the green shape in the middle, and the red shape at the bottom. The colors are applied in a layered, overlapping manner, creating a sense of depth and movement within the painting. The painting is considered to be a masterpiece of abstract expressionism and is considered to be one of Rothko’s most important works.
Wasserschlangen II is the 9th most expensive painting in the world. The painting depicts two women, one with long red hair and the other with blonde hair, the background of the painting is an abstract and dreamlike landscape, with swirling patterns and shapes that add to the sensual and mystical atmosphere of the painting.
The painting was not well received by critics at the time of its creation, and it was not publicly displayed until decades later. However, it is now considered to be a masterpiece of Klimt’s golden phase and is widely recognized as a symbol of the Art Nouveau movement.
The painting is currently housed in the Österreichische Galerie Belvedere in Vienna, Austria.
Pendant portraits of Maerten Soolmans and Oopjen Coppit
Pendant portraits of Maerten Soolmans and Oopjen Coppit are the 10th most expensive painting in the world. The pendant portraits of Maerten Soolmans and Oopjen Coppit are two famous paintings by Dutch artist Rembrandt van Rijn. They were completed in 1634 and depict the couple, who were newlyweds at the time, in a grand and formal style. The paintings were created as a pair and were intended to be hung side by side, with the two figures facing each other.
The portrait of Maerten Soolmans shows him wearing a luxurious velvet coat and holding a sword, while Oopjen Coppit is depicted wearing a richly embroidered dress and a pearl necklace. Both figures are depicted formally and elegantly, with a sense of grandeur and prestige.
These paintings are considered to be some of Rembrandt’s greatest works and are considered to be masterpieces of Dutch portraiture. They are now held in the Louvre in Paris and the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and are considered to be two of the most important works of art in Dutch history.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is diamond painting?
Diamond painting is a craft technique that involves creating a painting or image using small, shiny resin beads that are applied to a canvas using a special pen or tool. The beads, which are often called “diamonds,” are arranged in a pattern to create a detailed and colorful image. The finished product is a sparkling, three-dimensional masterpiece that resembles a traditional oil painting or mosaic. Diamond painting is a popular hobby for adults and is often used to create home decor, gifts, and personal keepsakes.
Which artist created the painting alternately titled “la Gioconda”?
The painting alternately titled “la Gioconda” was created by Leonardo da Vinci.
Where is the last supper painting?
The Last Supper painting is in the refectory (dining hall) of the Convent of Santa Maria Delle Grazie in Milan, Italy.
How to make a painting in Minecraft?
- Gather materials: You will need paper, dyes, and a paintbrush. You can make paper by combining sugar cane and sugar on a crafting table. Dyes can be made from different materials such as flowers, cocoa beans, or lapis lazuli. A paintbrush can be made by combining a stick and a wool block.
- Choose a design: Decide on the plan you want to create. You can use a reference image or create your design.
- Create the background: Place the paper on the crafting table and add the dyes to create the background color of your painting.
- Add details: Using the paintbrush and different colored dyes, add details to your painting. You can use the paintbrush to apply the dye to the paper and create different shades and textures.
- Hang the painting: Once you have completed it, place it on a wall using the right-click action.
- Enjoy your creation: Congratulations, you have just made a painting in Minecraft! Take a step back and admire your creation. You can also share it with your friends and family by placing it in a public area or taking a screenshot.
How to clean walls before painting?
- Start by removing any dust or cobwebs from the walls using a broom or duster.
- Next, use a mild detergent mixed with water and a sponge or cloth to wipe down the walls. Be sure to rinse the sponge or cloth frequently to avoid leaving any soapy residue.
- If there are any stains or marks on the walls, use a solution of white vinegar and water or a mild cleaner specifically designed for removing stains. Apply the solution to the stain and scrub with a brush or sponge.
- Allow the walls to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- If there are any cracks or holes in the walls, use a filler or spackling compound to fill them in. Once dry, sand down the area to make it smooth and even.
- Finally, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe down the walls one last time to remove any remaining dust or debris. Your walls are now ready for painting!
How to prep walls for painting?
- Clean the walls: Start by removing any dust, cobwebs, or dirt from the walls. Use a damp cloth or a mild detergent solution to wipe down the walls, paying special attention to areas that are prone to grease or grime.
- Fill in holes and cracks: Use a putty knife and spackling compound to fill in any holes or cracks in the walls. Allow the compound to dry completely before sanding it smooth.
- Sand the walls: Sand the walls lightly with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth out any rough spots or uneven surfaces. Be sure to wipe down the walls again to remove any dust or debris.
- Prime the walls: Apply a coat of primer to the walls to help the paint adhere better and to conceal any stains or imperfections. Allow the primer to dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
- Tape off any areas that need protection: Use painter’s tape to protect baseboards, trim, and other areas that you don’t want to paint.
- Cover the floors and furniture: Use drop cloths or plastic sheeting to protect your floors and furniture from paint splatters.
- Check for any other repairs that need to be done: Look for any peeling paint or water damage that needs to be addressed before painting.
- Finally, you are ready to paint your walls.
How much is a bob ross painting worth?
The value of a Bob Ross painting can vary greatly depending on several factors such as its age, condition, and rarity. Some of his original paintings can fetch tens of thousands of dollars at auction, while others may only be worth a few hundred dollars. Additionally, his paintings that were created during his television show “The Joy of Painting” are considered to be less valuable than those he created during his earlier career. Ultimately, the value of a Bob Ross painting is determined by the market and the demand for it.
How to do diamond painting?
- Gather all of your materials: a diamond painting canvas, diamond drills, a tray, and a pen.
- Take the canvas and lay it flat on a clean surface.
- Sort the diamond drills by color and size.
- Take the tray and fill it with water.
- Dip the pen into the water and use it to pick up a diamond drill.
- Place the diamond drill on the corresponding spot on the canvas, using the pen to press it down firmly.
- Continue to place the diamond drills on the canvas, following the pattern provided.
- Once you have completed the entire canvas, press down on all of the diamond drills to ensure they are securely in place.
- Allow the canvas to dry completely before displaying or framing.
Note: It may take some time to complete the diamond painting, but the process is relaxing and therapeutic. Take your time and enjoy it!
How to clean an oil painting?
- Begin by dusting the painting with a soft brush or a microfiber cloth to remove any loose dirt or dust.
- Mix a solution of mild soap and water in a bowl. Use a soft cloth or brush to apply the solution to the painting, being careful not to saturate the canvas.
- Gently scrub the painting, paying special attention to areas that are particularly dirty or discolored.
- Rinse the painting with clean water and a clean cloth, being careful not to leave any soap residue behind.
- Dry the painting with a clean, soft cloth, and then let it air dry completely.
- If the painting is very dirty or discolored, it may be necessary to consult a professional conservator for further cleaning.
- Always handle the painting with care, and avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, extreme temperatures, or high humidity.
Note: Always test a small, inconspicuous area of the painting before cleaning the entire surface, to make sure that the cleaning solution does not damage the paint or the varnish.
How to frame a canvas painting?
- Measure the painting: Measure the width and height of the canvas painting to determine the size of the frame you will need.
- Select a frame: Choose a frame that complements the style and color of the painting. You can choose from wooden, metal, or plastic frames.
- Cut the mat board: If you want to add a mat board to the frame, use a mat cutter to cut the mat board to the size of the painting.
- Secure the painting: Place the canvas painting on top of the mat board and secure it in place with masking tape or art tape.
- Insert the painting into the frame: Carefully insert the painting and mat board into the frame. Make sure the painting is centered and level.
- Secure the back of the frame: Use clips or screws to secure the back of the frame.
- Hang the painting: Use a picture hanger to hang the painting on the wall. Make sure it is level and at the desired height.
- Enjoy your framed canvas painting!
What is the most famous painting in the world?
The Mona Lisa, painted by Leonardo da Vinci in the early 16th century, is considered to be the most famous painting in the world.
How to cite a painting?
To cite a painting, you will need to include the following information:
- The artist’s name: This is the most important piece of information when citing a painting. It should be written in the format “Last name, First name.”
- The title of the painting: This is the name given to the painting by the artist or the person who owns it. It should be written in italics.
- The year the painting was created: This can be found on the painting itself or in the artist’s records. If the exact date is not known, use the approximate date or the date range the painting was created.
- The medium of the painting: This refers to the type of paint or materials used to create the painting. Examples include oil on canvas, watercolor, or acrylic on paper.
- The location of the painting: This can be a museum or gallery where the painting is currently on display, or the location where the painting was created.
Van Gogh, Vincent. Starry Night. 1889. Oil on canvas. The Museum of Modern Art, New York City.
Note: This is just an example, you should use the proper citation method for the specific style guide you are following.